Best Sleeper Sofa Reviews and The Ultimate Buyers Guide 2017
Space in many homes today is a major issue, you too may be looking for ways to save space and yet still achieve functionality and class. The furniture you choose can help you achieve that. The best sleeper sofa can add a touch of modern elegance to your living room, but also save space and help you offer a comfortable bed to your overnight guests. This guide will help you make a choice of what would suit you best. We have taken into account aesthetics, affordability as well as the functionality to make the choice of what can be considered as the best.
Recommended Best Sleeper Sofa Reviews
Signature Design by Ashley Larkinhurst
This sofa has a unique color referred to as “earth”, if you are looking for something that will start a conversation about sofas, you may have a winner in this sofa. It looks like it is leather, but it is actually a unique blend of vinyl, polyurethane, and polyester. This sofa can be the main decoration in your living room and it will not clash with other colors in the room.
It has a memory foam mattress which will provide a firm bed for your guest. It lifts easy to transform into a bed and the backrest cushions will serve as a headrest for the bed. It also has 2 matching pillows for extra comfort. The armrests can serve as guard frames so that the person sleeping on it does not roll off the bed.
- Its unique design adds a rustic decor to your living room or wherever you put it
- Since it is a 3 sitter, it does not take up a lot of space but can still unfold into a sleeper
- It is constructed with strong wooden frames that add stability as well as an imposing elegant look
- It has a queen size memory foam mattress which is comfortable and can support a heavy person
- It has good ground clearance which is good for people who may have trouble getting off lower sofas
- It is more expensive than some leather sofas with the same design
Coaster Chenille Sleeper Sofa
For someone just starting out after college, this could be a nice piece of furniture for a studio apartment. It is a compact love seat with ample storage space and in the night you can easily pull out the sleeper and you have a comfortable bed to sleep on.
The covering fabric is chenille which looks nice and classy, it is also comfortable and unlike leather sofa beds, you do not hear that sound when you turn during the night.
The charcoal and black material is easy to match with curtains of any color or even a center rug. It is more expensive than so many other sofas, but it seems worth the investment.
- It has wheels just under the section for the bed so it is smooth and easy to pull out the sleeper
- It has storage space which makes it good for small homes that may not have enough storage
- The chenille material is comfortable and easy to clean up
- It has a modern look which would make it good for young urban people
- It is not exactly cheap
- The chaise can only be set up on the right side
Jaxx Zipline Convertible Sleeper Sofa & Three Ottomans
If you are the kind who enjoys rearranging your furniture or you would like to have different ways to use the same sofa, you may like this Zipline convertible. The 3 ottomans present you with a number of possible arrangements right from the conventional sofa with ottomans as foot stools, to a raised comfortable bench.
This sofa incorporates creativity and offers room for you to do as you like to achieve comfort and functionality.
It is quite comfortable whether you use it as a sofa or a sleeper and changing the arrangement is very easy.
- It is multifunctional so it is as if you have invested in many different types of furniture
- The possible ways to arrange it largely depend on your creativity and comfort
- It is quick and easy to change the arrangement to suit whatever you want to do
- The covers can be removed and machine washed
- It is well padded which gives good comfort
- When sitting on it as a sofa, the backrest is low and may feel uncomfortable for tall people
Modern Sofa Bed Sleeper Faux Leather
This is a classy modern look and the faux leather makes it look even better. I would love to have a sofa like this in my game room since you can lounge comfortably on the chaser. It also has an ottoman which can be used to transform the modern sofa into a queen-sized sleeper bed.
The stainless steel legs are more than just strong support for the sofa, they also add to the decor. I found that even though there are no armrests, I am still able to find space on the sofa to put the remote and other things that I would typically put on an armrest. I also find that the freedom to put the chaiser on any side of the sofa makes it easy to find space for it in living room or guest bedroom.
- It has chrome, stainless steel legs which give it a modern beautiful look
- The backrest is laid back a bit farther than other sofas so you can lounge comfortably
- You can place the chaiser on either side of the sofa
- Although it does not take up a lot of space, it can provide sitting for 6 or more adults
- Some people complain about the lack of an armrest
DHP Emily Futon Sofa Bed
This is a sofa bed I would love to have in the office. It does not take up a lot of space, looks elegant and is appropriate for a quick lunchtime nap – doctors say it is good for you. It can quickly transform from a sofa into a bed. It is not so comfortable for an every night bed unless you add a mattress but for an overnight guest in a dome room or if you are working through the night in the office, it would be good
Like the Modern Sofa bed, it has chrome legs which add to its modern look and can give an office a classy look. The color of the upholstery is eye catching to me and the material feels good to run your fingers over. For someone on a tight budget, this could be a good deal.
- The price is attractive especially since the futon looks good
- It can be set to 3 positions, sitting, lounging and sleeping which makes it versatile
- The backrest is split so if one person want to lounge and another lie or sit upright, it is possible
- The chrome legs add style and class to the sofa and the room
- Changing from one position to another is easy and fast
- The bottom of the legs are padded so that they do not scratch the floor
- Tall people will overlap the sleeper when lying straight
Coaster Home Furnishings 300321
Just by looking at this futon, you get the feeling it is comfortable and you would not be wrong. This all leather sofa comes with pillow top cushions that allow you to sink into your seat. At the end of a long day, this is the kind of comfort I would love to greet me when I get home. It can also be adjusted to a lounger position and when you have a guest, you can lay it flat to act as a bed.
The 300321 is elegant and stable. The brown color blends into the decor of any room and the silver legs are what seem to be expected of most modern sleeper sofas these days. I find its price tag under 500 dollars to be reasonable for a sofa of its quality.
- It is quite comfortable especially for people who like to sink into their seats
- The sides can be folded to a 45-degree angle to create armrests
- It is simple to adjust it from sitting to sleeping
- It looks elegant and yet is reasonably priced
- Since it is made from pure leather it is durable and easier to care for
- It seems to be designed for teenagers more than for adults especially the sleeper which is small
Serta Dream Convertible Seville
For people who like firm sofas, this is quite firm. I find it so firm that if I had an overnight guest, I would add a foam cover to the sleeper so that they are more comfortable. The design is the traditional family sofa with a touch of the modern in the lounger option.
If you have storage problem in your home, you may be happy to use the storage space under the seat.
It is sufficient for guest beddings and a few personal items. In a few seconds, you can transform the sofa into a bed with the armrests serving as the headrest. I, however, feel that this is best for a short nap but not a complete night’s sleep as the sleeper is a bit too firm.
- It has ample storage space under the seat which solves the problem in homes that do not have enough storage
- It is made from hardwood which makes it stable and durable
- It is quite firm which is good for people with back problem and those who find it hard to get off low and soft sofas
- The side pillows are covered in leather so they are easier to clean even when a guest may drool on them
- If is heavy so moving it around may be a problem if you are not strong
Pearington Mia Microfiber Sofa Sleeper Bed
If you are looking for an expensive looking sofa which is actually not so expensive, this is one you may zero down on. It has a look of elegance and the fabric used is also good. When you sit on it, you can feel the comfort. I find it interesting how it is able to be a firm bed and still be comfortable as a sofa. I also like the wide armrests which you can use to place a bowl of popcorn or the remote.
If you have limited storage space in your home, you may be pleased that this Pearington comes with storage space under the cushions. Transforming it into a bed is easy and quick so even if your guest is so tired, you will be able to give them a comfortable bed in just a few minutes and you do not have to buy pillows since it comes with 2.
- It looks elegant which adds to the beauty of your living room
- It has extra storage space which comes in handy in small homes or as a place for a guest to keep their stuff
- It looks expensive yet it is actually affordable
- It feels comfortable both as a sofa and a sleeper
- Putting it together is not so easy and it doesn’t help that the instructions are not as clear as you may need them to be.
Zuo Modern Serenity Sleeper Sofa
If you are looking to update your living room, then this is a design you may want to add. This Zuo sofa has the convertible armrests which are becoming a common feature on modern sleeper sofas. The dominant beige color is complimented by the 2 backrest cushions that have an interesting design featuring the Eiffel Tower of Paris. These cushions are quite thick and soft providing comfort for your back.
The Zuo has storage space under the seat and the backrest easily collapses to turn into a queen size sleeper and you have 2 full-size pillows in the backrest cushions as well as an extra smaller one. Because of its color, I would suggest having a cover when it is being used as a sleeper to avoid having to wash it often.
- It has a modern design which adds a touch of that modernity to a living room
- The foldable armrests look nice but also can allow for more people to share the chair when they are laid out flat
- It has thick cushions that can also serve as full-size pillows when sleeping
- There is storage space which solves the problem of where to keep a guest's things overnight
- Although beige is a nice color, it easily collects and shows dirt so you need to clean it regularly
Furniture of America Botany Leatherette
This is another space saving sofa sleeper as it does not take up a lot of space. I find it to be comfortable and yet firm at the same time, thanks to the thick padding it has. It also has extra support for the sleeper as there are hidden legs behind the backrest which can be pulled out when you lay it flat.
It also has a pocket that you can use to keep the remote and any other things you may want to keep close to you as you relax. The stainless steel legs are guarded at the bottom with plastic so that they do not scratch the floor or carpet when the sofa is pulled.
- The cushioning is thick which adds to the comfort when seated or sleeping
- It is made from a durable material which is also easy to clean
- It has a pocket to keep things you may need close to you as you relax
- There is extra support to keep it firm when being used as a sleeper
- A person 6 feet and over will not be comfortable sleeping on this futon
It is hard and close to impossible to make the final choice for someone else so that is something you would have to decide on your own based on a number of factors. However, just as a reminder, the Coaster Chenille sofa is an expensive looking sofa but is reasonably priced and will add elegance to your living room. The Signature Design by Ashley is durable, made with material that looks like leather but is not which makes it vegan-friendly. For the more creative individual, the Jaxx Zipline presents the opportunity to try out different arrangements according to your need. A number of these sofas provide storage which helps in small apartments. For anyone who is looking for a budget sofa sleeper, there are a number of choices here under 400 dollars.
Why You Should Buy a Sleeper Sofa
Many people question why they need to buy a sleeper sofa instead of a bed for a guest room or a sofa or air mattress. Well on the surface you may think there is not enough justification for that but here are some reasons that may convince you this is a worthwhile purchase.
You will have an extra bed
Even if you may have a guest room and a bed may be a good idea, think of the extra bed you would be adding by having a sleeper sofa. Sometimes you may have more than just 1 guest so the sleeper sofa will provide the extra bed.
They save space
Think of the space you save, instead of having a bed and then a sofa, both covering 2 different areas, a sofa bed will take up just one area and yet do the work of both a bed and a sofa. If you choose well, you can even get one that comes with storage space so you will now have no need for a trunk or a wardrobe for your guest. For studio apartments, these can be a great option.
A good place for a power nap
If you are the kind who likes to take a power nap during the day or you sometimes need to work through the night and may need to take a short break to rest your eyes, having a sofa bed in the office would be a great idea, you obviously cannot have a bed in the office but a sofa that can be quickly turned into a bed and back again would be a good idea.
What to Consider When Choosing a Sleeper Sofa
In most cases, a sofa is a place we will sit when we want to relax, relaxation is best achieved when we are comfortable so you need to get a sofa that will meet your standard of comfort. For some people that means it is very soft and allows you to sink in, while other people like a firm seat that will give their back good support. Since you may be planning to use it to sleep on as well, it is a good idea to ensure it will give you a restful night. Think of what you would consider comfortable and choose one according to those standards.
Usually, people looking for sleeper sofas are trying to save space, it is important therefore that the sofa you choose is able to fit in the space you have in your home. There are a number of sofas that can be fitted in particular ways so that they will fit into different spaces. Some of the sofas on this list even offer you storage space so for a small house such a sofa may be appropriate as it will provide more than just one function.
Ease of use
You may be thinking, “how hard can it be to use a sofa or a bed” well with a sleeper sofa it is more than just sitting or sleeping, the transformation process is also a big consideration. How easy is it for you to switch from a sofa to a sleeper? Sometimes you or your guest may be very tired and you do not want to have the concentration of someone going to fly a plane. Good sleeper sofas can be transformed within less than a minute and some even a 5-year-old can do.
There are hundreds of designs to suit different preferences, you may need to look at different designs before you decide which design you would want. Design encompasses a number of factors like the color of the sofa, the fabric used and the structure of the sofa. Some have a modern look about them while others may have the traditional look just like what you may find in your parents home. Consider what look you are going for and then choose accordingly.
Furniture should be able to last long, the way a sofa is built can determine how durable it will be. A sofa made from strong mahogany is more likely to last longer than one made from softer wood. You can consider the weight of most of the people likely to sit or sleep on it and then decide how strong it needs to be. If you have kids, they may decide to turn the sofa into a trampoline when you are not home to stop them, it is wise in that case to get one that can stand such punishment so that you do not return home to a broken sofa sleeper.
Your pockets may play a big part in determining what you end up with. In this guide though, we have included sofas that are reasonably affordable. Set a realistic budget and then look for something that fits into your budget. At the same time, it is important to realize that you are purchasing an item that will last long so do not fear to spend a bit more to have something durable and pleasing.
Parts of the Sofa Sleeper to Pay Attention to Before Purchasing
The frame of your sofa is what holds it together, it is a good idea to know what material is used to make the frame. Hardwood and steel are the most preferred and they make strong frames that can support almost any weight.
The cushions determine the comfort. When considering the cushions, find out how easy it is to care for them. You may want to know if they are made from washable fabric or if they are durable.
The legs are not just for standing the sofa, although you do well to find out how stable they are. When considering the legs, you should also be thinking about how they will look in your home. For example, chrome legs are common these days because of the modern classy look they add to the furniture as well as the room. Look at the legs as part of the decor of your room.
The height of the backrest is important. You want to get good support for your back some sofas provide complete back support while others just go halfway, you can decide what suits you best.